Monday, April 03, 2006

About Moldable Clay...

To some this may seem like an odd title, but to us it totally fits. I'll tell you why... a while back, while we were in Europe exploring the possibilities of joining NLI (Next Level International), we happened to be visiting with a Canadian couple who had made the move around 5 years earlier. They were excited for us and the possibilities of us joining them, but like us, wanted to make sure it was the right thing for us to do and not just some whimsical decision made in the moment. So we started to pray with them about it (you know, like consulting the Chief about major life decisions). Anyways this lady began to share a picture with us, it was about a clump of clay, moldable clay.
I just related to her picture soo personally. WE were the clay, Ronnie and I. It was like we had been through seasons of our lives where we had been in the process of becoming purified clay, malleable clay (don't get me wrong-not like we've "arrived" or anything), like we'd been trying to get to a point of readiness for something. The picture went on to describe the clay being at a point of readiness to be molded into something- into the shape, the dish, the piece of usable pottery that the Potter desired it to be. My heart throbbed, I was soo in that place- clay, moldable clay, so desperately wanting to be shaped, molded into what I was created for- to be the vessel that would fulfill my purpose. I was so excited about finding out my shape- OUR shape- what Ronnie and I would be shaped into together, what skills, situations, and experiences would shape us to fit the destiny of our lives. Anyway, so it became clear to me in that moment ( and the many months that followed as we continued to pray about it) that this was the place, the people, the experiences that God was going to use to shape us into the piece of pottery that we needed to be to fulfill our purpose. (I hope I'm not losing any of you here.... kinda my deep personal thoughts!) Not to say that this sole experience will be what determines our future, simply that this is the next step of our journey in becoming what we were created for...after all, we all have a purpose in life, right?!

So there you have it. Why we felt it was so fitting to name our Blog site this way, seeing that it's our "British Blog" to keep you all updated about this whole process of being molded clay.
Any bets on what we might become?! A bowl, a cup, a serving platter...Kidding. Just trying to lighten things up after such a "heavy" first blog! They won't all be this deep- don't worry.
Janelle & Ronnie

3 comments:

tmosh said...

Hey guys hope the flight was good! just wanted to tell you your phones are all taken care of here.
Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures + seeing some wonderful pictures too :)

Steve said...

Hi Guys,
You may already have seen this, but Heather and I were given a copy of this the other day and it really fits in with being clay in his hands. It's a modern parable talking of our lives as clay in the potter's hands. I hope it inspires you like it has us.

God bless you both and I hope you're both settling in, hopefully we'll get to see you when we're back in the UK.

MoldableClay said...

Hey Steve,
Great article. It definately inspired us both! Thanks for sending the link!!!