Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Comfort of Corn


Funny how you have to be miles and miles away from home to figure some things out. Though its always talked about, it has a new meaning to me now: comfort food. Uusally used in a negative connotation, as food that we pig out on when we're depressed or anxious, as something we unnecessarily overindulge on. However, I've discovered a more positive reality of comfort food: genuine healthy comfort. This reality occured to me the other week as I was making supper. As I was boiling the corn-on-the-cob the aroma began to stir up emotions within me. As funny as this sounds, the feelings only intensified as the corn was cooked and I rolled it through the block of butter. The creamy butter just drizzled over each golden kernel which was then crowned with crystals of salt. OHHH, AHHHH, my heart was overwhelmed as I smelled the sweet aroma! What joy filled my heart. The truth was then proclaimed: "I LOVE CORN-ON-THE-COB !!!" In truth it was soo much more than the delicious taste of sweet golden corn covered in butter and salt- it was the lane of memories it walked me down... Good ol' Canadian BBQ's with the family all around. The aroma raising from where Dad stood BBQing the meat and tinfoil wrapped baked patotoes, the steam boiling up from the corn into mom's smiling face in the kitchen, the rays of warm sunshine beating on your back, the sweet flavored breeze brushing your hair from your face, the dog wisely choosing his location from where he'll get the most table scraps...man all those childhood memories all the way to adulthood!!! Summer BBQs with corn-on-the-cob reminds me of all those years filled with love, laughter and fabulous company!!!! Man do I miss it!!! But hey, atleast we can have a blissful moment carrying on the tradition as we eat our buttery golden corn-on-the-cob! So Ronnie, consider yourself informed of why we may be eating nothing but corn in the coming months!!!

8 comments:

armitagecafe.com said...

There you go! See, you have plenty of news to share with us. I am pleased to read this. I feel a part of your lovely corn encounter, given the fact you probably used our old BBQ...and speaking of that, make sure you save some cobs for us, too. Not that we'll return starved or anything but we sure count on some catch up over BBQ at yours! Yeah, I just invited oursleves to your home for a meal. Oh well. The beauty of friendship. The weather better holds up for some more sweet BBQs before the Summer is over.

Miss you guys much, much but the time is soon coming and we'll be re-united once more! Pa,pa...(Slovak version of bye-bye)

tmosh said...

corn is so tastey! such a good fall food. i love your fancy corn squewers! also they way you two always seem to match : )

MoldableClay said...

Thanks, I actually got the squewers at Superstore believe it or not, and they were very reasonable if you need some...

Anonymous said...

I just got back from holidays at the cabin and one night that's all we had to eat - corn on the cob! It sure is a summer time fun thing to do. Lot's of memmories.

Just Me said...

I would like to make you corn on the cob...I will if you come and visit...so, come HOME to visit...

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Texas state board of dental examiners Ge profile top freezer ice water dispenser Provincial flower of nova scotia C1353p24 sunflowers Gerbera daisies posters brake repair mercedes minneapolis Dacor appliance service blumen uetz Interracial marriage in the joy luck club Severn suzukisarika suzuki Reasons to get a cell phone Video surveillance motion Guns n' roses - better

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Penis penetration Blood pressures Individual dental insurance boston Next generation jogging stroller Mortgage interest deduction calculator Desiner kitchens ultramreal www.mcse cisco bootcamps.com Pfizer anti depressant Prescription drugs patanol like pee pants orgasm kentucky cisco legal 200 dollar video cards